Ernie is a trusted advisor for Chiron with over 30 years of vast legal experience, as well as experience in both the health and insurance industries with significant leadership roles throughout his career.
Ernie has been DHR Health System’s Legal Counsel since 2019. DHR is the largest physician-owned hospital in the country. Prior to joining DHR, Mr. Aliseda was a partner in the national law firm of Dykema, where he focused on representing financial institutions and corporations in commercial litigation, as well as serving as a mediator and arbitrator in personal injury, commercial and international litigation matters.
Before that, Ernie served as the Chief Legal Officer for the Loya Insurance Group, a full-service insurance company for eight years, supporting their expansion from Texas, into New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Nevada, California, Missouri, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.
Ernie is a retired Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army Reserves, Judge Advocate General Corps, where he last served as an Army Trial Judge(1999-2019). He is also a retired State District Judge, having served both the 398th and 139th State District Courts in Texas. In 2008 and 2009, he was called to active military duty in support of Operation Enduring Freedom with the XVIII Airborne Corps.
Upon his return, Mr. Aliseda was appointed by the Governor of Texas to serve as a Commissioner on the Texas Military Preparedness Commission. He later resigned this appointment to serve on the University of Texas System Board of Regents, where he served from 2013 to 2019. The University of Texas System 13 higher educational institutions throughout the state including eight universities and five independent health institutions, with an annual budget of 20 billion dollars.
Mr. Aliseda is a former elected State Bar Director and a former Board member of the Texas Bar College. He is a past President of the Hidalgo County Bar Association; a past President of the Hidalgo County Young Lawyers Association; past Board Member, Texas Young Lawyers Association, State Bar of Texas; past Board Member, Texas Rural Legal Aid; and also a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation. He volunteers his time as a volunteer Judge for the McAllen Teen Court program, as Vice President of the McAllen Citizen's League, and as a Vice-Chairman for Scouting BSA.
Ernie also serves on the U.S. Military Academy Selection Board, as well as a Staff Officer in the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary. Along with his numerous military awards, Ernie has been awarded the “FBI Director’s Award” for his work as a federal prosecutor and has also been awarded the “Ethics Award” by the Hidalgo County Bar Association. He was recently honored in 2019 by the University of Houston Law Center with the “Pro Bono & Leadership Award” and in 2020 by the Texas Bar College with the “Jim Bowmer Professionalism Award.”
Education and Credentials
- Texas A&M University, B.A.
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D.
- Loyola University Chicago, LLM (Health Law with Certificate in Compliance Studies)
- U.S. Army, Military Judge's School, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Jim Bowmer Professionalism Award, Texas Bar College
- Pro Bono Community Service & Leadership Award, University of Houston Law Center
- Texas Center Professionalism Award—Hidalgo County Bar Association and the Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism
- TX House of Reps Resolution 1787—Honoring service to country, State and country
- FBI Director’s Award—Outstanding Service as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Young Hispanic Leader in the U.S./Spain Council, Embassy of Spain, Washington, D.C.
- FINRA Non-Public Arbitrator
- State Bar of Texas
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Texas A&M Foundation
- Texas A&M Corps of Cadets Association—Whistlejock/Class of ‘88
- Advisory Council, Texas A&M University McAllen Higher Education Center
- Fellow, Texas Bar College
- Board Member, U.S. Military Academy Selection Committee
- United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, Flotilla Staff Officer
- Volunteer Judge, McAllen Teen Court
- Advisory Board, McAllen Citizen’s League
- Advisory Board, Futuro RGV
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- The University of Texas School of Law Continuing Legal Education, First Friday Ethics 2022
- “Enforcement of the Clean Water Act and Stormwater Mgmt. in Texas", Caceres, Spain 2017
- "When Judges Go Bad", Texas Minority Counsel Program, State Bar of Tex., McAllen, TX 2012
- "Alternative Fee Agreements", Council for Litigation Management, San Diego, Calif. 2012
- US/Mexico Water Resource Mgmt. Law and the Rio Grande/Rio Bravo; Lisbon, Portugal 2010
- "Water Resource Management Law", Caceres, Spain 2005
- "A Brief Overview of Mexican Labor Law", Monterrey, Mexico 2004